9 Gift Ideas for Card Gamers – Even if you don’t know what they want…
‘Tis the season! Trying to shop for friends or family during the holidays can be a nightmare, and even worse so if they are gamers. Trying to find out what games they have, what they need, and what they like can be a trying experience—especially if you’re trying to sneaky.
For the card gamer, gift giving can be tricky. Not know what someone needs for their deck—or even exactly what they play—makes it almost impossible. Never fear! Here’s a list of a few items that are never unwelcome for your card-gamer loved one!
- Playmat: It may seem like a weird thing to a non-card gamer, but playmats are sought after. It separates one player’s play space from another’s, helps protect their cards from anything that might be on the table, and creates a soft space to prevent any additional damage to their cards. Playmats come in a variety of colors and with different art so that each individual can also express themselves during their games!
- Playmat Tube: For the gamer that already has a lot of playmats, playmat tubes are a great purchase. It’s basically a tube that stores the playmat, keeping it safe from bends, dirt, debris, etc. It will help extend the life of their favorite playmats! These also come in a variety of colors. We prefer prism-shaped playmat tubes. Not only is it easier to remove the playmat from its storage space, but it also doesn’t roll away if you set it down.
- Sleeves: Card sleeves are probably the number one item for gamers (besides their cards). Card sleeves protect their cards from wear and tear, making them playable longer. It will also help keep valuable cards safe. The one thing to remember with card sleeves is that they come in different sizes. Most cards will fit in “standard” sized sleeves (e.g., Magic: The Gathering, Pokemon, Force of Will), while others are “small” sized (Yu-Gi-Oh!, Cardfight!! Vanguard). Card sleeves come in a variety of colors and art backs, too!
- Deck Boxes: Deck boxes are the best way to keep your deck all in one place and safe from being split apart or damaged. Deck boxes come in a variety of styles and can vary in price depending on how fancy you’d like to get with your card storage. Small plastic deck boxes will usually run less than $3, while leather deck boxes and premium-style deck boxes will be more costly (up to $24.99 typically).
- Binders: Most card gamers will keep a few cards available for trading purposes, or cards in place that may be more valuable than others. Binders are a great way to store these. Most three-ring binders and card pages will work fine, but for a special gift, purchasing a premium binder can make someone’s day! Binders by manufacturers like Ultra Pro, Monster, and Ultimate Guard give something a little extra to card storage. The card pages will typically have soft backs for extra protection, and the cards will slide in sideways rather than top-loading. This will keeps the cards from falling out if it’s dropped or picked up the wrong way! Some binders will also come with a zipper for extra security.
- Booster Packs: When in doubt, buy booster packs for their chosen game. Each booster pack is a randomized card pack. Since these cards are randomized, it’s also a thrill to open these to see if that extra rare card is in there. These make the best stocking stuffers for card gamers.
- Boxed Sets: For a bigger gift, check out some boxed sets that pertain to the game they play. Most games will have box sets that range anywhere from $15-$45 dollars. Some will have booster packs, dice, sleeves, promotional cards, and sometimes figurines. Games like Magic: The Gathering have items called “The Gift Box” specially designed for this purpose!
- Dice Sets/Dice Bag: Most card games usually require tokens and/or counters. Gamers will usually use dice as representation of these tokens. They come in a variety of sets, colors, swirls, speckles, and the like for an endless array of the color spectrum. Additional dice are always acceptable as gifts. Throw in a new dice bag so they have a way to carry their new set!
- Gift Cards: When you’re completely lost, getting a gift card to your local game store is a sure bet. Gift Cards may seem impersonal, but getting one for the game shop that they play at will show thought and appreciation for your loved one.
We hope your gift giving experience goes a little more smoothly with this guide!
Happy Holidays from Game Cafe!